Loss of Male Libido
Loss of male libido
The Loss of libido is also known as the loss of sex drive. It is a common problem that impacts several men and women at some point in their life. It is often linked to stress, fatigue, or relationship issues, but it can be a sign of medical problems such as decreasing hormone levels.
There is no such thing as a ‘normal sex drive’ as everyone’s libido is different, nevertheless, if the lowered sex drive is significantly affecting the health, relationships, and mental wellbeing of a person, then they should seek medical help. With the proper medication and lifestyle changes, the person can overcome the issue.
Causes for Loss of Libido in Men
When men experience lowered libido, they feel disinterested in sex due to various psychological and physical reasons below are some of the most common reasons for low sex drive.
- Reduced sexual attraction — Problems in relationships can lead to tensions which might lead to loss of sexual attraction between couples.
- Trust issues — Poor communication between partners can lead to a lack of intimacy that is needed to initiate sex.
- Sexual Problems — issues such as impotence, painful sex, erectile dysfunction, inability to orgasm, can lead to loss of libido.
- Hormonal Imbalance — Certain biological issues may decrease the production of the male sex hormone testosterone which is necessary to maintain the male libido.
- Anxiety and Stress — A person suffering from high levels of anxiety and stress is not in a comfortable state of mind to initiate sex and is often tired and fatigued.
- Medications — Certain medications and supplements have the side effect of reducing the levels of testosterone hormones in the body which in turn affects the libido. Medicines for depression, high blood pressure, enlarged prostate, and seizures usually have this side effect.
- Other than the above-mentioned common causes, other conditions cause low sex drives like unhealthy lifestyle, depression, cancer, thyroid disease, diabetes, cardiac issues, and alcoholism.
Symptoms of Loss of Libido in men
Reduced sex drive can be very troubling for men. The lack of interest in sex can lead to a vicious circle of emotional and physical side effects, often manifesting as Erectile Disfunction.
Chronic erectile dysfunction brought on by low libido can trigger a man to feel anxiety with sexual acts. Such feelings can further lead to conflicts between them and their partner, causing relationship issues, and fewer sexual encounters, which in turn causes depression, self-esteem issues, and poor body image, again negatively affecting the libido.
Treating Loss of Libido
The treatment for low sex drive depends on the cause for the loss of libido. The usual line of treatment can include:
1. Lifestyle change — A healthy lifestyle consisting of exercise and proper diet is important to overcome the issue.
2. Meditation — A simple method to combat mental issues like stress, anxiety and depression — daily meditation can help men suffering from low sex drive.
3. Therapy — Medical therapies that help increase the number of Testosterone hormones can be prescribed by doctors as a treatment to increase the libido.
4. Counselling — For men experiencing low libido due to serious psychological conditions, it is best to undergo counselling to understand and figure out the reasons for their low sex drive.
How to Maintain a Healthy Libido
Prevention is better than cure, there are many ways with which men can ensure that their sex drive does not decline.
1. Staying healthy — It is very important for the wellbeing of men that they exercise regularly. Cardiovascular exercises, running and swimming have been known to be beneficial in improving health and libido.
2. Including fruits in the daily diet — Fruits like avocados, bananas, figs, as well as natural spices like chillies and peppers help in balancing the hormonal levels.
3. Consuming Omega 3 rich foods — Foods like salmon, nuts, olive oil, and tuna are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids help in maintaining the libido.
4. Vitamin B1 — Vitamin B1 or Thiamine rich food items also help maintain a healthy sex drive
5. Giving up harmful habits — Consumption of Alcohol and tobacco along with smoking are injurious to health and the libido of a person. It is best to give up on them before they negatively affect the libido.
6. Stress-reducing lifestyle — It is best to take up practices like mediation and pursuing hobbies that help reduce the daily stress that affects the sex drive.
7. Avoid low carbohydrate diet — High-quality carbohydrates like whole wheat, brown rice, green leafy vegetables etc should be present in the daily diet along with healthy fats as they give Testosterone hormones level a boost, which increases the libido.
8. High Protein diet — A diet rich in protein helps build muscles for a healthy body and maintain Testosterone levels and libido.
9. Avoid sugary beverages — Beverages with high sugar levels reduce the Testosterone levels in the body leading to a lowered libido.
10. Avoid food contaminated with Estrogen — Foods like meats, dairy, eggs from farm animals that have been fed Estrogen and other hormones should be avoided as they increase the Estrogen hormone levels in the body which in turn reduces testosterone in the body.
11. Sleep — A good night’s sleep is necessary for reducing stress levels and anxiety while also positively affecting the Testosterone levels in the body.
12. Chocolate — Eating chocolate helps with the libido as it releases chemicals like serotonin and phenethylamine that function as aphrodisiac and mood lifters.
With proper counselling, medical therapy, and lifestyle changes it is possible for men suffering from low libido to get back their sex drive.